Ch. 2 Mexico
Section 1, 2, and 3 Quizlet Vocab.
*Make a copy and add pictures to your cards. These
terms will be part of your final test but not the only items that will be tested.
What You Will Learn...
Section 1: Physical Geography...p.38
Mexico is a large country with different natural environments in its northern, central, and southern regions.
*Watch Mexico Terrain video
Physical Land Formations of Mexico - Mr. Honish's Flipped Classroom - 7 min. video
1.Create a physical map of Mexico List of requirements
2. Read Section 1 pp. 38-41
3. Do Section 1 Summary (Use a Google doc with tab scissors and tab glue)
4. Mexico Physical Map Game (Practice this along with your Quizlet vocab for a quiz.)
6. Ch. 2 Vocabulary Sections 1-3 (Quizlet)
7. BP Oil Spill Video - 2 min.
8. Timeline of the Gulf Oil Spill - 6 min.
Section 2: History and Culture...p. 42
Native American cultures and Spanish colonization shaped Mexican history and culture.
1. Read Section 2 pp. 42-46
2. Do Section 2 Summary (Use a Google doc with tab scissors and tab glue)
3. Section 2 Quiz (We will do this together in class.)
4. The Story of the Mexican Flag - Video - 2 min.
5. Chinampas - video - 2 min.
6. Mexican Traditional Quisine - Culture Video - 12 min.
Section 3: Mexico Today...p. 48
Mexico has four culture regions that all play a part in the country's government and economy.
1. Read Section 3 pp. 48-52
2. Do Section 3 Summary (Use a Google doc with tab scissors and tab glue)
3. Section 3 Quiz (We will do this together in class.)
After completing the reading of Chapter 2 Mexico in the textbook and taking the section quizzes, the students will be divided up into teams to complete a series of centers. Each center will hold an activity or project the students will complete independently before moving on to the next center. All assignments are done in class with the exception of incidents where students fall behind due to missing class or not using time wisely during the day. This is self-paced, but all centers must be finished and work turned in by the due date assigned.In the event we have snow days or other unforeseen delays, the due date may be adjusted.
1. I Am Poem Instructions (Create a Google doc in your Hapara folder. Use the Turn It In Button on the class Weebly.)
1a. I Am Poem Rubric
2. Mexico Culture Blendspace - By Lydia C. (Read this and take the quiz.)
2a. Collaborative Site between U.S. and Mexican Students - Day of the Dead Info
3. Mexican Mask Information
3a. Mask KWL (Copy of KWL in S.S. Hapara folder)
3b. Day of the Dead Crafts and Activities
4. Complete the 2 Newsela articles and 3 question quizzes. See the user guide sent to you on Edmodo if you have any questions as to how to access the quizzes in your class binder.
Our culminating event for this chapter is a fiesta! (Date to be determined) I will send out a reminder so students have enough time to prepare. I ask that they either bring a food or drink that is authentic (No Taco Bell! Kroger has an entire isle filled with things. ) Students may find an easy recipe on the internet, use a family recipe, or I have some simple recipes that they may use. A sign-up list is in their Google Drive SS folder- no repeats, please. If you prefer not to cook, premade items may be brought in (ex. Mexican soda, Mexican cookies, Mexican chocolate or gum, etc.)
In the event your child would prefer not to cook, they may do a Google Presentation on an aspect of Mexico to share during the fiesta. They may choose one of the following or speak with me about an idea of their own. The presentation must include 7 slides (title, 5 info, citation) with a visual, URL (citation) and an important fact about the topic. The presentation is to be done as homework.
Guidelines for Creating your Presentation
Mexican food Quinceaneras Ritual of the Veladoras
Mariachi Music Mexican Folk Art Famous Mexican Americans
Schools in Mexico Bull Fighting Wildlife of Mexico
Tourist Attractions Famous Mexicans Deportation
Mexican Border Issues Traditional Clothing Cinco De Mayo
Internet Resources (To be done if spare time in class)
1. Mariachi music - America's Got Talent
2. Mariachi band - America's Got Talent
3. The Road to Juan's House - Life in a Garbage Dump
4. Living on the U.S. Mexico Border
5. Mexican Geography Games
6. Mexican Games
7. Power Point Presentations about Mexico
8. Mexican Symbols
9. Mexico Jeopardy Game
10. Scholastic Informational Article about Mexico