Yes, we are halfway done with the 1st quarter. Students took the first Social Studies test today on Ch. 1- A Geographer's World . Due to the fact that this was their first test in S.S., and it was also the first test on Edmodo, a number of supports were put in place to help them be successful. In the event your child did not do well, they were given an opportunity to do test corrections over the weekend. These are due on Monday. A template can be found on Edmodo for them to use. The following was provided to all students as support.
1. Students were given a copy of the actual test to keep during the 3 week study.
2. As a class we used a strategy called "brain priming" which involved reading and discussing each question, annotating the test, and then circling a possible answer based on an educated guess.They were given time in class each day to revise their guess based on new information they learned during the period.
3. Each section of the text was read once by the student at home.
4. The students listened to the audio and read along with the text at school.
5. Section summary documents were given to students that contained test answers.
6. Students made vocab. flashcards on Quizlet and were given time in class to study every day for 5-10 minutes.
7. We discussed each section as a class and students were told to go back into the test and fix errors they made when they initially guessed what the answers could be.
8. Gestures were attached to major concepts to assist with remembering definitions.
9. Students were allowed to use their copy of the test we annotated when they took the test today on Edmodo.